PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 14:45
gums

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts
maintaining the stall

Excellent presentation by Owain, just peachy.

I also wonder about recovery possibilities if the THS was moved to the opposite position/angle from that which existed all the way down to the ocean. Pitch moments would change, and it's possible that the nose would come down

When you look at this, it is clear that the question to be asked is not will there be enough down elevator power to give a ND recovery moment, but rather will there be enough elevator power to get and hold 60 deg AoA. To recover all that would be necessary would be to remove the up elevator, although of course some down elevator wouldn’t hurt – so long as you don’t stall the THS.
In other words, as with the Viper, at extreme AoA, you still have nose up authority, but not down. We had the equivalent of the THS all the time - no elevators at the rear of the stabilators. All but delta designs of the lites use the all-moving stabilzer. Because we had a lotta lift from the fuselage and the strakes, our aero c.p. was quite a ways forward of the airliner designs. So we could get to a fairly stable condition, stalled, but still with nose up authority.

I would add that as the speed rapidly slowed and the jet entered the abnormal AoA regime that there could be a brief time where downwash could "help" increase the nose up moment, like the classic T-tail deep stalls. In other words, without doing anything the AoA would continue to increase, driving the main wing further into the stall until equilibrium was reached.

Lastly, I do not believe that an extreme nose down pitch attitude would be required to recover. As 'bird suggests, this is where an AoA indication could really help. We aren't talking about 100 knots of extra speed, as it looks like we already had 150 knots or so of effective forward speed. Get to 200 + knots and start pulling back to level flight. And BTW, I always thought the gee requirements for the heavies was 3 gees, plus a standard addition until structural failure. The 2.5 gee number surprised me.