PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OA to be paid to Libyan Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 12:05
uncle peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fodplod

There is always someone worse off somewhere. I absolutely despise the way people use that as an excuse for not improving t+c's for others when it can so easily be done. It also demeans the effect such sporadic dets can have on family life and the ability to take leave. For some tanker mates including an ex stude of mine, the current commitments will see them away for over 6 months this year, as well as 4-5 months last year and a projected 6-7 months away next year should they remain.

Chicken leg

Would you prefer all those currently deployed to be in tents so it neatly fits your assumption of the hardships of Ops and how it should be? Incidentally I believe that option was costed and found to be a factor of 150% more expensive than current arrangements, but i guess that cost doesn't matter as long there is the perception that some hardship is involved. Nowadays it is quite correct to state that allowances are intended to cover expenses incurred. The point being people are apparently having problems feeding themselves on the allowed amount. The rates at the moment I believe are capped actuals with receipt proof so your assertion that people are wanting to somehow profit, instead of feeding themselves, is a disgrace.

I understand those who were the first to deploy on the op were given normal rates in order to feed themselves - (about 50 euros a day). When field conditions were then retrospectively applied they then were presented with a bill for all rates received despite no other method existing to get food. I also understand this issue is still ongoing.

Grabbers

Op allowance is being met from the Treasury reserve although the point of the country being broke is not lost. Your point wrt to support staff elements (ground crew, hangers-on and remfs... sic) is largely moot as precedent exists currently in Herrick where those who support the daily grind from other countries qualify if they are over afghan whereas the support elements do not.

You are quite correct in that moral is fragile, and I expect some will see this as quite a large slap in the chops.

I now leave the floor open to those about to state how others have got it worse and how we should all live in shoe boxes in the middle of the road with a cup of cold gravel.