PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OA to be paid to Libyan Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 11:02
Grabbers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wensleydale

Not only are we as a light blue Service engaged on Op Ellamy, we are also engaged in a battle for our share of an ever decreasing pie full of defence budget filling. One of the major weapons in this constant battle is the precision use of the media. As I'm sure you'll agree the other Services media comms people are usually much more adept at getting their message across.

Were the rules to be extended to those currently flying E3D and AAR/AT assets could the same logic not be applied to the groundcrew, hangers-on, REMFs etc. How long before we see headlines such as "Chubby RAF Tech receives danger money in case he chokes on his Pizza!" or "HR guru gets taxpayers cash to buy suntan lotion and ice-cream on his half-day 'war'"
Accompanied with suitable picture of flag draped coffin or seriously wounded soldier recuperating at Headley Court the whole thing wouldn't reflect well on the RAF as a whole would it?

I agree with your point that morale is fragile but I disagree that 'allowances must be made'. Perception is reality and whilst the sums are negligible in the great scheme of things the bottom line is there is no cash.

As an aside, as a result of this decision I wonder how many 'support' roles will suddenly become disestablished...?