PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF cancels flights to Queenstown Sunday
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 05:11
nitpicker330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Framer: I'm not sure if you're referring to me but I'm not a 206 Pilot!!

( oh, and the snow fall was Sat night and the flts cancelled Sun )

This is a bit of a nothing thread, you're correct there!!

I was there and was amazed that all QF and 2 ANZ flights were canceled, the weather was quite good most of Sunday up to about 1500 when rain moved back in BUT the vis was over 5 km's and the base at least 1500', enough to allow ops and indeed ANZ did fly during the day with 737's and A320's and an ATR 72.

If this is bad weather then we'd better send an email to our European and Canadian friends that routinely fly in this kind of terrain and weather without problems. Sure it may have been close to the minima but isn't that why alternates are carried?? NZCH is only 30 mins away and the weather there was ok.

At the end of the day I was amazed QF canceled, I was at the airport plane spotting ( as you do on holidays, its a beautiful place and makes for some good photos!! ) and the weather actuals were quite good. Snow on the ground, all movement areas clear ( but wet ) the sun was shining with light winds and scattered Sc.

They should have at least flown down and had a look.

My point on the day was, are QF using the forecast weather as an excuse? short of Aircraft due JQ grounding? looking for excuses to cancel QF intl ops?
Trying to make the loss bigger?

Last edited by nitpicker330; 14th Jul 2011 at 05:21.