PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Std Phraseology in NZ
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 04:03
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MOR
"Pilots of departing aircraft should advise POB to ATS before taxiing, and arriving aircraft when establishing RTF communication with aerodrome control or AFIS."

In other words, it isn't mandatory anyway. MATS 4-21 refers. In ATC-speak, "shall" is used when application of the procedure is mandatory, and "should" is used when application of the procedure is recommended.

It may not appear in Link manuals any more, but it was certainly policy at one time, probably still is in an informal way at places like WB.

Surprised you didn't know about that, Tarq57.
I should have known that. That is the problem with me responding from memory rather than waiting 'till I'm back at work and actually referring to the document. (I don't have a MATS at home.) I'll add an edit to my post further up to reflect the true state of affairs.

Originally Posted by BurntheBlue
Option B. push it harder... Where I live, the local Airways boys & girls are very vocal with ways to improve their service, I have much respect and appreciation for them. Let's just get stuff done eh.
Probably unnecessary, given the above.

Plus, as outlined in above posts, I don't actually find it a distraction/bother.
Airways are more likely to respond to requests made by the customer (airlines) than the staff, in any case, unless it's a money or safety issue.