PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deliberately forced wing drop stalling in GFPT test
Old 14th Jul 2011, 03:04
43Inches

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts
I agree with a minimum height for stalling practice in any aircraft, recover by 3000ft AGL, why not, especially with students practicing for the first time. I know of at least two occasions where a student has locked up on the controls preventing recovery and the instructor has regained control with the loss of over 1000ft.

I learned to fly on Grobs...they're spin capable (with the kit fitted). If you kick in too much rudder correction with a wing drop situation, it'll flick the other way. I learned one hell of a lot flying those.
Train in a Grob and you'll get a healthy respect for low speed flight. Very good at teaching rudder control with power changes and near the stall. Poor ruder use at low speed = inverted flight.

A 161 warrior will forgive you, but a Grumman Trainer/cheetah/tiger won't.
A PA28 is very docile, until you load it full aft CoG or near it and mishandle it near the stall. When it lets go it will rapidly roll on its back, treat any aircraft with respect at low speed.

Airliners are no different near the stall, throw in some ice and even the best designed aircraft can do anything it wishes. The ATSB has some interesting reading regarding airliners stalling and recovery techniques. There have been some very close calls. Swept wings and t-tails etc make things more complicated near the stall but still the same applies, dont go there if you dont have to.

Why practice any abnormal procedure at low altitude that does'nt require you to be there, even a normal high angle of bank turn has risks let alone combining it with a stall.