PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith "QF move to Asia".
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 00:51
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry but there are major flaws in Mr Smith's logic here:

I worked as an airline pilot for a major carrier in Asia and was paid way more than my QF colleagues. That carrier was and remains massively profitable, in spite of the 'threat' from dodgy low-cost operators.

Qantas can pay Australian-trained pilots well (using like carriers as a datum) and still reap in millions in profits.

The likes of Air France/KLM and Lufthansa are 'burdened' by far stricter social, pension and other fiscal requirements and obligations to their very well paid pilots than QF and yet still manage to turn good profits and expand - also in the face of competition from the likes of Emirates.

We are witnessing the rapid deconstruction of what was once a national icon. That this deconstruction is totally unneccessary is a disgrace. This relentless push to offshore everything is just a smokescreen for CEO's and Directors to qualify for fatter bonuses and fattened CV's for their move to the next corporate stop. I dont feel at all sorry for Mr Joyce - this current PR hype that "Qantas's mainline international operations in danger" is a transparent comment, trotted-out regularly at EBA time to scare gullible staff-members.

Im sorry Mr Smith but you state that: "At least I am prepared to stand up for Australians, Australian businesses and Australian pilots and engineers". Nice words but sure as hell was not reality in my case. I once worked for Compass Airlines and you didn't do much good for that airline or it's employees. Indeed the actions at CASA then were the reason I ended up at the well-paying foreign airline! Not what you should ever regard as your proudest moment (you will know the tawdry politicians and businesspeople involved behind the real reason Compass was shut down) and completely at odds with your words here today.

People don't fly Qantas because it's cheap they fly it because its safe.

I like the idea of Smiths Peanut Butter and will do anything to avoid the global multi-nationals. However that Peanut Butter is probably not sufficiently different to attract sufficient customers. Qantas is different. It is globally acknowledged as safe and professional. Destroying precious brand-differentiation by foolish offshoring is a complete act of stupidity.

Keep it truly Australian and it can and will prosper. Send it all offshore and it will become just another crappy means of transport.

Sure the Company Directors will get fatter pay checks and share parcels but Australia will lose yet another brand and product. Of all people, the futility such short-term thinking should not be lost on Dick Smith.