PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Press reports of accident at Duxford 10/07/11
Old 13th Jul 2011, 23:24
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prince of Dzun
There's some Karma involved here. Mustang G-HAEC in civilian form came from the far east and while in Hongkong it was proudly and artistically adorned with the name " MISS WONG " That name should never have been changed.
Yes, from the Phillipines.
Ray Hanna (a Cathay captain when the 10 year project started), Mal Rose (a Cathay FE throughout) and a couple of others whose names I can't now remember bought two damaged P-51s from the Phillipines in 1975. One had been licence-built in Australia and the other was American built ex-Philippines Air Force.
They chose the original Australian markings for the finished aircraft so when it arrived at the Old Flying Machine Company in 1985 (Feb or March) it had the paint scheme below. I remember the great excitement when it arrived.

It subsequently had several different paint schemes before it was sold in 1997, including 'Missy Wong from Hong Kong' for the filming of Steven Spielberg's 'Empire of the Sun' in 1987.

Karma?
You could be right.
On the other hand, it had a good life in the 12 years it was with the OFMC, apart from some minor damage in a ground-handling incident when we were in Switzerland circa 1986. And, as far as I'm aware, when it was with the next owner from 1997 until he sold it recently. (He was flying it for the current owner when the accident occurred.)

FL