PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2011, 19:54
An Teallach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I recall, this is the third megathread on this issue and every conceivable question, speculative scenario and theory has been raised as to the cause of the accident short of possible alien involvement. It too may have been raised but I blocked some of the more 'speculative' (I'm feeling generous) posters years ago.

Lord Philip has correctly identified the nub of the issue in that there was never the evidence to support a finding beyond any doubt whatsoever as required by the prevailing regulations. Can we not just leave it at that?

Years ago I likened fighting the wilful ignorance (thank you for the phrase, Sir William!) of the MoD to trying to wrestle a salmon. I sometimes questioned my sanity but prevailed after 12 years. That Brian et. al. have had the tenacity and persistence to bring this salmon wrestling match to a successful conclusion after 17 years of sheer hard work is worth a damned site more than 'back-slapping'. Just think what a service the RAF could be if it had more Brians in it, and how proud each of us would be if we thought there was someone like Brian to fight our corner if we were unable to.

Back-slap away, I say. It certainly beats the more familiar back-stabbing and backside-covering for which the RAF in those days could, unfortunately, be rather more renowned.