PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deliberately forced wing drop stalling in GFPT test
Old 13th Jul 2011, 14:45
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centaurus correctly mentions that the glider boys will practice stall training at circuit height. I personally did my spin training with Mike Valentine (dec) not above 1200 agl....man does the earth look huge!

To a glider pilot stall/spin training is more serious than learning how to thermal. When you are sharing a thermal with other gliders, your concentration is largely outside the cockpit, esp if you have beeping vario's (vario=hypersensitive VSI). Being that nature you are not watching the ASI, and in a bumpy thermal you are also dealing with a constantly changing nose attitude. Gliders are not subject to the same regs as say a PA28, so their likelihood of departing into a spin is increased. Having flown gliders of greater than 25 metres span, their docile nature is rudely interupted by their readiness to spin, so you have to be on the ball. Glider pilots are trained to a level, where they recognise the stall without aid of instruments or horizon and immediatley manage the wing drop with rudder, and continue around the thermal turn as if nothing ever happened.

The argument that a PA28 is designed to be benign and seriously forgiving (which it is) and that the regs/testing should reflect that, although once a truth, is now a falacy. You need to look at what people are training in now. We have VH registered ultralights (different design regs) and even people doing the bulk of their training in RAA registered and then swapping to a GA ticket. We are furtunate enough that many of the people teaching in RAA are also qualified to teach in GA. (and no i am NOT saying RAA trained instructors are less qualified)

The 3000' limitation. Hmm I have no problem with that, as the reg governing that is designed to cover multiple types and give you space for them all. Who said training should be risky?

So what is Advanced stalling?
Some say that it is in the approach or climb configuration.
To me it is ensuring that the student understands the practical side of the aerodynamics of managing any wing drop with rudder rather than aileron. A 161 warrior will forgive you, but a Grumman Trainer/cheetah/tiger won't. It is also about ensuring the student has the skills to move onto more complex types with not so benign handling.

As for forcing a type to drop a wing in the the test...PHOOEY!..... even a warrior will waddle about the lateral axis in a stall......theres your wing drop, get the student to manage it with rudder rather than aileron and you have advanced stalling and he/she is ready to move onto something less forgiving.

Cheers
Jas

(PS I took this whole conversation was based on the comments of what the student is doing the test in, when the regulatory body needs to consider what they might fly next)