PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deliberately forced wing drop stalling in GFPT test
Old 13th Jul 2011, 12:54
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been struggling to figure the purpose of this thread.

Modern training aircraft have benign stalling characteristics and there are stringent rules on the amount of wing drop permitted in the certification process.
What is a "modern training aircraft"? I still see a lot of C150/152 and PA28 around in a training role, and even the occassional PA38.

The 150/152 can get your attention stalled with 20o flap and 1800 rpm, and the Traumahawk can get downright interesting when stalled in a similar config. I used to instruct in one that would rapidly roll onto its back!

Must confess to doing lots of stalls at 1000' - depends on the aeroplane and your familiarity with it, however, I know a few (incuding myself) who would not be here had they not started out above 3000' on at least one occassion.

The V-tail can get a bit excited when stalled in the approach config but all-in-all is a pussy cat! However, some idiot decided that the A36 needed to be tamed and put those stupid looking wedges on the leading edges of the wing - and spoiled the look of a beautiful aeroplane.

Dr