PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When can you say you know enough to be safe in the cockpit?
Old 13th Jul 2011, 04:52
IFLY_INDIGO
Beau_Peep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshear procedure

I had a severe windshear encounter on approach once. fully configured. for more than a minute we struggled with it chasing the FD bars, following the airbus proc, not changing config and keeping wings level. twice airspeed went into red pole. I was worried about the life of flaps which were full. finally, when next time airspeed shot up in the red pole I ordered 'flaps 3'. we got extra room for airspeed to vary. altitude was more or less same. next time speed shot up, we took gear also up. we could climb a bit but still It seemed like never ending windshear. so we initiated turn to right by 45 deg and after a few seconds we were out of that nasty zone.. I realised how nasty windshears could be.. after all, wings are meant to develop lift in smooth air only... I think coming out safe out of windshear is matter of shear luck. windshear is a condition when aircraft is no more flyable.. it is just that powerful engines keep pushing us forward..