PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is PPL The Best First Step To A Career As A Pilot
Old 12th Jul 2011, 17:39
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Paddy88
Thanks guys, especially Bealzebub, There is some great information there for me to think about. If I were to consider the millitary route, would having a ppl Increase my chances during officer selection process of being a pilot? I am just thrying to look at ever option and see which is the best route for me to take!

First things first......CAA Class 1 Medical!
Answering your first question - yes.

Answering this question - yes.

A class 1 medical will tell you if you have the physical potential. The PPL will tell you if you have the basic aptitude and motivation, and do so relatively cheaply.

Personally, I can't understand why any bright, motivation, young individual with a fascination with flying would want to aim for the airlines if military flying is a realistic option.

To hell with the money and hours, given a choice of flying a fighter, SAR Helicopter, or a scheduled airliner, I would take the third option only if it was quite clear I wasn't going to get one of the first two. But then I love flying far more than the idea of the status and income.

G