PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2011, 16:49
Lonewolf_50

Received 415 Likes on 258 Posts
Thanks bear, I just read PJ2's latest Tech log post on how much SS deflection it takes to start a climb. He related to about six inch control deflection on a yoke controlled jet. Most enlightening. Also the deciphering of the BEA reports on when the inputs to the nose began to drive the nose higher, in concert with TOGA. Paints a different picture.

I think it well to bear in mind that, per the basic systems information publicly available, unless you counter any nose up input you makes on the SS, your nose up input remains within the system.

Put another way, if you put a little nose up in, you need to take the same amount out to restore level flight, unless you are attempting to trade airspeed for altitude. As I understand the Law they were in, (Alternate) the computer won't think through that for you. You must mind your pitch attitude and counter correct for your various inputs.

More than one pilot who flies at high alt has pointed out to how delicately one must handle the big jets at high Mach numbers and high altitudes. Hand flying. (Seems to require some practice to master, like any sort of flying).

If I misunderstand the controls, please correct me.