PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2011, 14:19
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takata and others, Zorin_75 asked a very pertinent question about the persistent fixation on the autotrim. Why IS everybody so fixated on it?

Surely nobody here thinks that turning autotrim off or simply coupling the elevator to the stick would have made a difference, I hope. The elevator jack screw runs too slowly for the pilot to use it for primary control. So the dual action, a quick action partial solution and a chugging along slower action is derived as the best way to handle it all. But the real problem is the full to the stops NU input that persisted until the plane was in an attitude from which recovery was problematic.

Hadn't it gotten into a condition such that the elevator authority was sharply limited by it's being fully stalled? By the time they made the final ND input there was no way to pull out of their stall. (I mentioned the thought of breaking out of it with unequal thrust to introduce an asymmetry to break out of the stable stall. And, yes, I can see no sane pilot wanting to do that. I vaguely wonder if it could have led to breaking the stall before it hit.)

The plane was crashed, essentially, by the persistent NU command not the THS. I've talked about training to use the trim wheels. But on thinking it over and too vaguely remembering the stall characteristics of the aircraft vis a vis position of the elevator I suspect all the elevator would do is slightly modify the NU forces on the aircraft. Are you worrying about something that appears to make a huge difference yet makes no real difference at all when the AOA of the aircraft is some 60 degrees?

Just askin....