PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ideas fro the Next 25 Years, Please
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2011, 14:16
Monocock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod1's points are all very valid and shouldn't be ignored.

When I was 29 I was getting bored of flying and by that point had flown around 800 hours in Cessnas and Pipers to a variety of airfields and done a few of the cross channel adventures that I wanted to do. I suddenly realised one Saturday morning that I was bored.

I chopped in the 172 and bought a Luscombe. After a variety of LAA types I have now found the one that fits my requirements perfectly and in the last 10 years I have never had a dull weekend's flying. The social side of LAA flying is superb and you can discover a whole myriad of different strips and communities to drop in on. The fraternity is remarkably helpful and I know for sure that had I not made the change I probably wouldn't be flying now.

Looking after your own machine adds a further dimension and trust me when I say that you do not need to have prior knowledge of engineering to start down this route.

Go and buy something like a Jodel for £12k (or a share in such type), find a friendly strip to keep it at and make a list of strips and fly-ins that you plan to go to. After a Summer of trips you'll realise why it is so enjoyable.

I didn't go the LAA route for financial reasons (although it is shockingly more cost effective). I went this route as I was beginning to lose reasons to fly and I could see a whole new world of aviation that was being enjoyed by other day/VFR flyers where I was happy to be. Some of my best pals have been met through this type of flying and it is always enjoyable receiving emails leading up to the weekend from people who I might not have seen for a few months suggesting a rendez vous somewhere.

You may have already tried this route and perhaps it wasn't for you. All I would say is think really hard before you do actually stop for good as I am sure you'd regret it over time.