PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P51 and Skyraider Collision at Legends 10 Jul 11
Old 12th Jul 2011, 12:05
AirShowJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at Duxford on Sunday and was already slightly wary of the Skyraiders. As the three A-1s were flying in their allotted slot, they were flying in a vic formation. At one point the other French Skyraider (F-AZHK) broke from the port side as the formation made a climbing turn at the Eastern end of the airfield, just over the threshold of runway 24. In doing so, he then turned onto the base leg and nearly took out two Spitfires which were landing, the Skyraider having to pull up sharply at the last minute. He then pulled into a tight turn and ended up holding some miles to the East, landing on after the other 2 Skyraiders finished their display.

Jokingly i said to my Dad "If i was the Spit pilots, i'd be having words." Luckily, the Skyraiders were parked in front of us and no sooner had the a/c shut down than 3 Spitfire pilots walked over and seemed to be having a rather heated discussion with the Skyraider pilot after the very near miss.

The end result was the Skyraider was not flown in the Balbo, with only the North Weald based a/c and the other Jean Baptiste Salis machine which was involved in the mid-air with Big Beautiful Doll.

Add in the Fokker Dr.1 ending up on its nose and the Nieuport nearly ground looping, it was a day full of drama.