PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ideas fro the Next 25 Years, Please
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2011, 09:42
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very good question. I think many people have gone into flying with high expectations of doing a variety of different things but the reality has been rather more mundane.

For many people, learning to fly does not amount to a lifestyle change, so flying takes its place along side the other things that go on in your life. I think a key thing is not to have impossible goals, as you will be disappointed. I would love to be one of the select few who has taken their aircraft around the world, but it is not going to happen because of family, career, time and money. I have an other half who does not particularly like flying, so holidays touring are also out. I am fortunate in having done IMCR, night, some aerobatics and have access to a lovely 1940s Chipmunk, which is a joy to fly every time. Staying current and polishing the skills necessary to fly that aircraft well is a continuing challenge in itself as is contributing my time and professional skills to the group that runs it.

Someone commented recently that you should not commit to more than you can afford. Certainly struggling to pay for an hour a month is going to be fairly demotivating and you are better finding a cheap aircraft you can comfortably afford. That will give you the chance to fly more often and not break the bank.

Often it is about seizing opportunities. A couple of years ago I was asked to fly up to Perth to pick up a friend who was delivering an aircraft there. That was somewhere I had never been and probably wouldn't have gone to but for that, but it was a good day and nice to do a flight which had a purpose. On another occasion I flew up to Gamston to pick my daughter up from uni. All memorable days.