PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airvan crash on Flinders Island
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2011, 01:09
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate the word "accident" in aviation as it implies no responsibility for what has occurred. There is a causal trail that leads to a crash that is the result of deliberate actions on the part of the pilot.

No pilot will deliberately put themselves in a situation where it is more likely than not they will die. After all, they are usually the first to arrive at the crash scene. However, there are a lot of pilots who do not take the time to properly assess the risks they are about to face or totally overestimate their own abilities. As a group pilots are very forgiving of their own, after all, most of us do try to learn from their mistakes and we recognise that in other pilots.

However, there have been too many instances where very poor judgement has been shown by people who should know better. From what I have read this crash appears to fall into that category. The pilot certainly did not start out with the intention of crashing the aircraft but his poor judgement and lack of skills achieved that outcome putting at risk the lives of his passengers. It was only his manual flying skill at the end of the flight that saved his passengers lives BUT it should not have been necessary. Whats the expression.........using superior skill to avoid a situation where it is necessary to use that superior skill.

If the evidence was there I believe this is a case that should have been prosecuted.