PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying South America
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 22:15
DPeterson3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fellow traveler

Hello Dusty, et al,

We're planning on what sounds like the same trip beginning just before Christmas, or thereabouts. We're in Carson City NV. I've got a 64 Mooney, and have flown down to the Caribbean about 15 - 18 times (lost count). The Mooney has slightly more than 5 hours of fuel, so I plan no more than about 600 NM legs, and less when I'm flying in areas with few alternatives, such as over the ocean, and South America.

I've not been past Nevis (near St. Kitts, but have little concern about getting down to Guayana. Frankly, I think I'd rather take the western course though Central America, Columbia, and either down the west coast or straight over the top. Not spotting a lot of airports along the central route, however, and the girlfriend says she wants to take the island and Brazilian coastal route, so there we go. I am somewhat curious about Manaus and central Brazil, but that may have to wait until we take the float plane down.

I have serious doubts that a 182 has an 800nm range, unless it is uniquely equipped. I'm pondering the 88 gallon (total) STC) for my just to avoid that sweat that starts breaking out around 4 hours 30 mins.

I haven't had much luck locating good charts, but have only begun the search.

When do you guys plan to go? Might form a group.

Cheers,
Don