PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An acceptable landing...
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 19:28
The500man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500man - I think you're maybe missing something important about AOA
Mark1234 I was perhaps being a little black and white. I wasn't speaking of maintaining an airspeed but of the effect of pitch and power. If all you do is pitch the nose down you will fly faster and if all you do is reduce power you will descend faster with a higher AoA (at a lower airspeed).

Pitching for speed, if you are too fast and too high as in my example, you will be increasing your AoA and reducing speed to begin with but you are already too high so you will need to pull power to come down faster. Then you would re-pitch for speed and repeat the process.

Surely it's better to pick an aiming point and maintain pitch, adjusting power as required? That's my view anyway.

As a side note since prop-wash was mentioned; this will have some effect however big or small on the Vs1g stall speed. So obviously you would have a smaller effective AoA with power-on compared to power-off at the same aerofoil AoA. The significance will no doubt depend on the configuration of the aircraft and the thrust available. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: This has turned out to be a great thread with the various topics discussed and with a few interesting vids too!