PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 18:51
FODPlod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rector16
'The Apache makes better targeting decisions than Harrier, lucky we kept Tornado then'

How does a helicopter make targeting decisions? I thought that we kept 'people in the loop' just to enable better targeting decisions - hence Pred/Reapers still have folk (albeit a fair distance off) making decisions about what to do, they don't just launch off a make decisions based on computer programming (haven't we all seen Terminator or Wargames?). If Admirals think that ac (RW or FW) make decisions, then we may decide that we don't need Admirals anymore!
Interesting point. This is yet another reflection of the difference in service cultures. The Admiral meant the aircraft in terms of their commanders (whether pilot or observer/navigator).

In the RN, the Commanding Officer of a ship or aircraft is the ship or aircraft. A signal addressed to HMS Nonesuch or a particular naval unit is intended for the CO. It is his/her prerogative whether to allow anyone else to read it. When the CO of HMS Nonesuch is away in a seaboat hailed by another ship (i.e. "Boat ahoy!"), the coxswain of the boat replies "Nonesuch", i.e. he responds with the name of the CO's ship, not the name of the CO he is ferrying.