PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 11th Jul 2011, 18:05
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
LW,

As you rightly state....it isn't just the Osprey that is vulnerable in a Hot LZ....but at least the 53/60/47/46 have door guns and door gunners perhaps even Ramp Gunners if it all goes ugly. That is my point in comparing the Osprey and generic helicopters in that regard.

Door mounted Mini-guns certainly put out lots of Suppressive Fire.....M2-.50 cals not so much but they do heaps of hurt if they hit something....M-60's/M-240's make the aircrew feel better but do not compare in effectiveness.

That is a shortcoming of the Osprey in that regard.

The Razor's got whacked by RPG's.....which have been around forever. They are first class kit...simple...effective...and combined with Machineguns and small arms are definitely a threat to be reckoned with.

As you rightly say....in the absence of gun cover on site ready to provide immediate cover to the landing aircraft....very bad things are goiing to happen if the Bad Guys are where you alight no matter how fast you approach the site.

I am not saying the Osprey is "uniquely vulnerable" but due to the lack of adequate and effective defensive armament....it is more vulnerable than the aircraft it is supposed to replace.

At Takur Ghar....the aircraft were landing within very close proximity to a fortified bunker with automatic weapons and RPG's....with supporting infantry with RPG's and automatic weapons which made for a very tragic situation.

What was particularly troubling to me in the accounts of that fight....Medavac aircraft were withheld long after the immediate threat had been reduced with the onsite troops with wounded begging for help....a second SpecOps unit in an overwatch position telling their chain of command the area was secure enough for helicopters and neither chain of command coordinating their operations in such close proximity to one another.

That is why I challenge those who say we use different tactics, equipment, and can rely upon speed and "stealth" to land in hostile controlled areas without having defensive armament on board the aircraft.

That is why when the Marine General said....."We land and are gone before they know we are there! (or words to that effect)"....I wave the BS flag!

I am not bashing the Osprey.....but rather those who insist upon pushing the compay line without giving pause when issues arise.

The danger is when one begins to believe one's own propaganda.....bad things are bound to happen!

Last thought....."Arm the Osprey." How does one do that? The reason it is not armed....is it really isn't practicable from the design of the aircraft. While hovering it might be feasible as the proprotors are overhead but in the airplane mode....it might be an intersting situation. Also....it would take a major redesign of the airframe I bet to allow the use of door gunners and door mounted guns. That is why they have tried to justify the belly gun concept as being the answer. Shall we discuss what a silly notion that is?