PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 confusion
Thread: V1 confusion
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 16:47
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add to some comments above, not only is the "2 seconds" a purely performance accounting item, intended to build some conservatism into what would otherwise be a very "test pilot" like scenario, and therefore in NO WAY to be considered as available to any crew conducting an abort to give them time for a leisurely chat about what to do next, but it also is not accounted for in any "real" terms.

That is, it's an additional DISTANCE added to the calculations, equivalent to 2 seconds at V1. But, whether "stopping" or "going", no aircraft will spend 2 seconds magically stuck at V1. If you were to sit on your hands at V1 for 2 seconds, you'll find that you've travelled somewhat further than the assigned distance "margin", since you'll be accelerating during the 2 seconds. You'll also now find you're trying to stop from significantly higher speed than V1, which means that all your stopping distances are out to lunch as well.

I've not done the explicit sums, though I'm sure they have been done, but I suspect that the actual margin of decision making variability which the "2 seconds" actually represents - assuming that you were NOT KE limited at V1 - is something like 3/4 second. Which, given that reaction times of the order of 1 second are routinely required for certification purposes, means there isn't any real margin at all, and certainly nothing anyone should be expecting to rely upon.