PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 16:12
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Further to post 144, I have received a lengthy reply from Gp Capt Tony Banks. It has come in the form of an actual snail-mail letter, not email, so I cant give you a link to it, but I will do my best to summarise the points he made.

Dress - The committee is going to review the rules on wearing ties, as there is a tendency for people to dispense with ties at work, even when wearing a suit.

Running Horse - Allied to the previous point, they are going to look at the possibility of keeping the Running Horse open later than at present, as even with present rules members may use this bar in more relaxed dress than other public rooms.

Room Bookings - A new software system for room bookings will enable the club to track members room requests and give them priority if possible on their next request if they have been disappointed in a previous one. Occupancy rates currently stand at 80% over the year, with January and August tending to be quieter months.

Membership Fees - Apparently newly-commissioned officers now pay an annual membership fee of £5 (sic) for their first five years! All serving officers thereafter pay half a day's pay, while retired officers pay £131 p.a. The committee thinks this last figure represents good value for money, however this means that they are paying more than all serving officers up to the rank of Air Commodore. (Serving Group Captains please note - I am subsidising your RAF Club membership!).

Country Membership - Apparently the committee have considered this in the past, but they consider that any increase in revenue they receive from increased membership would be more than offset by the reduction in membership fees received from members who are currently paying the full fee but would immediately benefit from the lower fee for country membership. They also felt that it would be unfair to those members who currently live close to or in London but who do not use the club regularly. They do not think there is any likelihood of a reduction in fees for retired officers.

Well all I can say is - I tried! It rather seems that it is going to be business as usual, with few of the suggestions made throughout the thread meeting much favour. If you feel strongly about anything then why not contact the club yourselves? They at least appear willing to listen, if not actually to make any changes!

btw I have just made a room reservation for a weekend in December, and while I was able to get a room ok, a lot had already gone, and I couldnt get the actual type of room I wanted (large double).

TTN