PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 15:19
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
Bear, take a look at page 5 here. http://www.kamanaero.com/images/PDFs...2020050727.pdf

I flew for a few years with Kaman's servo flap system. It's very responsive to pilot inputs. You don't need hydraulics(though they are handy, and with hydraulics gone, the collective is tiring to move and hold in position).

I personally prefer it, stick and rudder wise, to the swashplate that needs 3000 lbs of hydraulics to change pitch on rotor blades. (Down side, of course, is more parts and thus more maintenance worries ... so it goes, no free lunch ... )

As to the A330 THS and its teaming with the elevator, is there something to be learned from the UH-60?

In that cockpit, you will always know where your Horizontal Stab is (a FBW surface that moves) because there is a guage that tells you its deflection from the horizontal, on the center console. (That gauge is pretty important, since if you are flying above certain speeds, full down Horizontal Stab will kill you due to a nose pitch that the rotor system can't overcome).

From the various material I have access to, on the A330 can all up your THS on a standard ECAMS page. I am not sure if that display is the default or not.

Food for thought, in re knowing what your airfoils are doing while you are flying. Did the crew know where it's THS was? Interesting question, but the more critical question, beginning with the initial LW/NU move on the side stick, is

Did the crew know where their nose was relative to the horizon? (Particularly before apogee was reached).