PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civil or Military?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2001, 23:37
Strobin' Purple

Tarmach, your opinion is so erroneous that it is worthless as advice to Eagerbeaver on these pages.
Don't try and second guess the training system and likely postings with respect to whether you're a short timer, (12 yrs with an option to leave after 8) or a lifer,(Permanent Commission or PC, 16 yrs reckonable service or 38th B'day whichever is latest). The simple fact of life these days is that if you are good enough to get thru' selection, IOT, and 3-4 yrs flying trg the RAF will send you wherever they think your talents will best serve the service. If you're able to cope with single seat fj then you'll go there regardless of your percieved commitment. They will aim to ammortize your £3-£4m trg costs ( get their value for money )in the 2-3 3yr tours left available to them.
In response to the original question and as someone with 16 yrs' service I'd advise EB (and anyone else) to go for it wholeheartedly. There have been various comments on this topic but the one that is most accurate is that you can go from fighters to a bus but never the other way round. Give it a go, get thru' and have the time of your professional and social life. Alternatively you could always just wonder 'what if'.
Someone also said earlier in this thread that 16 yrs is a long time and if you are 17/18 then I suppose so, but it seems like yesterday that I pitched up at Cranwell. Time flies when you're having a hoot.

Regards SP