PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watchkeeper
Thread: Watchkeeper
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:53
Mr Grim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sturb, it would be difficult to find a more wrong post than your last 2. The RAF have had a plan to replace Reaper for quite some time now. The timeline has slipped due to aircraft issues / the end of Afg ops and political changes, particularly a realignment to France. The RN by comparison are only just starting to realise that some sort of large UAV off a carrier would be a good thing and are considering their options.

Meanwhile the RAF are doubling their Reaper fleet at a time when whole capabilities are being scrapped - an unprecedented move I would suggest. I would agree that many in the RAF still don't understand the full capabilities of Reaper, but with that there has to be an understanding of the limitations as well. Those limitations are often not the issues the ill-informed majority often spout, but other issues. Good article in the Guardian last week, for general interest. RAF tackles Taliban in Afghanistan

Lastly I have to say that your reference to the "UAV IPT" was pretty insulting. The guys involved in Reaper are extremely pro active and capable and should take a good deal of credit for fielding such a capability in a ridiculously short time and the guys involved in Scavenger can't be held responsible for changing governments and industry's products. And no, I'm not in the IPT.

I know this is a rumour network, but these "I was chatting to a bloke at the bar" stories are getting silly.