PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P51 and Skyraider Collision at Legends 10 Jul 11
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I photographed the break of BBD and the A-1, then turned to photograph the next formation. My son tapped me on the shoulder and said 'Look!'. I saw something fluttering (presumeably the wingtip) and the A-1 very nose down, thinking that something had failed on the Skyraider and didn't notice BBD go in (there appeared to be no fire - no smoke) . I concentrated on the pull-out of the dive of the A-1. A few seconds later my son spotted the parachute open just before it disappeared behind trees. (He's used to seeing parachutes open from our last posting at Netheravon - one moment there is nothing, then suddenly a chute is visible). Until that moment I didn't realise that a mid-air had occurred, as the relative sizes of the two aircraft made judging the distance between them difficult from where I was. It was probably a good job it was a left hand circuit so the A-1 was turning away from the damaged wing. He rolled to a stop in front of us, having stop-cocked the engine. It was a good ten minutes later that a Follow Me jeep turned up to enquire of the pilot if he was ok, long after all the other emergency vehicles drove straight past him. It must have been very difficult for him, just 30 yards in front of a large crowd. There was no mention of the accident by the commentator for almost 30 minutes when it was mentioned that the third pilot had said he'd never seen anyone get out of an aircraft so fast. Well done to everyone concerned for how things panned out after the collision.