PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 07:32
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JD-EE
BOAC seems to still desipise the glass cockpit and FBW the glass cockpit and FBW the glass cockpit and FBW. Right or wrong it is not going to go away no matter how much he rails about it.
- I'm afraid, that like many other inputs from many 'experts' on this huge sequence of threads, that is a complete mis-representation. If you read the other thread (Safety forum) you will discover that it is the attitude to the implementation of "the glass cockpit and FBW" and its interface with the pink and fleshy bits that operate it that I "despise" - if that is your chosen approach.

Even PJ's 'Golden Rules' from Airbus (how concerning is it that this needed to be published? Where have we 'arrived'?) make no mention I could find of 'Direct Law' handling, merely 'manual flight' - ie 'protected'. It makes no mention of that fact that the 'protection' we 'sell you' with the aeroplane may not. The mindset that needs to be broken is that all this is going to 'look after you'. It will until it doesn't. That, if anything. must be the key message. BA tried hard a few years back (following a worrying spate of loss of 'SA' and common-sense induced by the mesmerising glass) with a far-seeing course for pilots called 'EOI' - 'Enhancing Operational Integrity'.

One further comment - I am concerned that these 'graphs' produced after hours of hard work by folk like MM and A33 will pass rapidly into the 'factual' world - as pseudo FDR traces - when in fact they are supposition - guess-work - based on extremely limited information. We just do not know enough at this time.