PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPads for NZ Commercial Cockpits
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 04:36
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Compressor Stall
How can you taxi out and use the SID chart with it fully off? The certification / permission is to allow this.
Ask the certifying authority. To my knowledge, operators in CASA and NZ land are not (yet) authorised to takeoff or land with these things ON or in Standby.

your FCOMs are strapped securely aren't they Bloggs?
The discussion is about access to AIP (carried in my bag beside me), not the FCOMs. Plenty of need to access charts during taxi; I've never needed to access the FCOM during taxi, nor do I think I ever will.

From off to swiping on, entering password to swiping to find Goodreader to select aircraft type folder, open FCOM 4 and search the bookmarks for a specific chapter just took me 12 seconds.
I ask again: is that from Fully Off, or just a Soft Off? Quite a few examples on the net show a full bootup takes at least 20 seconds.

Don't get me wrong; when they get approved, I'll probably get one. The screen format is by far the best for document reading; I don't understand why the all Android tabs are so long and skinny. But until the ipad can legally replace the few kg of paper I carry (did I read 15kg??) and Jepp gets it's act together with the Airway Manual and charts, I'll wait.