PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When can you say you know enough to be safe in the cockpit?
Old 11th Jul 2011, 00:52
grounded27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bubbers, Pantload and alf

OK Pantload, my neighbor thinks automation is the only way to fly an airplane because a computer can fly better than a pilot. He also believes SOP's are the only way to go and he is an airline pilot. Are you happy?

I do argue with him a lot but you don't want to hear any more of my version of the story. I'm retired and am of the old school that pilots should know how to hand fly proficiently and SOP's are a guide so the weak pilots don't kill anybody.
I made a comment that the day that a pilot will be safe in the cockpit was when aircraft were fully automated, a bit tung and cheek was the intention. Goes to the old joke about the dog and pilot in the cockpit we have all heard. Bottom line is with modern Jet's Airbus in particular that are designed with flight envelope protection and require the pilot to follow SOP's and in only an emergency push the (oh **** button) there is some credence to the statement.

The fact is that piloting skills are hard to maintain these days. Reactive memory function to adverse flight situations are first driven by SOP, selected pilot flies the aircraft while the other has to look up what to do is the norm. The larges factor is liability driven by bean counters resulting in more automation and less traditional airmanship. This trend shall continue.

I'm retired and am of the old school that pilots should know how to hand fly proficiently and SOP's are a guide so the weak pilots don't kill anybody
SO true but pilots are trained as employees (aircraft operators) first these days and airmanship gets lost, not week in most cases just victims of the system. Aircraft manufacturers will continue to cater to the needs of the airlines they sell to in the venture of creating the perfect aircraft that will not crash and will respond to any emergency automatically. It is hard for pilots to accept the fact that their skills are being replaced by software and hardware, but it is the truth.