PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - De-crabbing at the flare to land without drift.
Old 10th Jul 2011, 22:05
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only flown four types of heavy aircraft. B-727, L-382, DC-8 and B-747 (in that order). I was a check captain/instructor on the last three.

The Herc and the 747 didn't like landing in a crab due to the mainwheel/landing gear configuration, but a slight crab, especially on a wet or cluttered runway, was doable.

The DC-8 was the worst gusty crosswind airplane of the bunch, particularly with the CFM engines. If the conditions were near the XW limit and gusty, I would land the DC-8 in a crab. With the robust gear design, there were no issues and the company(s) actually encouraged the technique, rather than suffer a possible pod strike.

The Herc and the 747 are good XW airplanes, so kicking them straight @ 10'-20' in the flare with a bit of bank remaining during higher crosswinds wasn't an issue. The EGPWS altitude callouts in the flare were a pretty good assist in judging height and sink rate prior to touchdown.

The 727 had wingtip clearance issues, so one had to be careful with too much bank during the flare. A slight crab during touchdown, if necessary was OK.

In little airplanes, I teach and practice flying final in a crab and going to wing low for the touchdown sometime during the flare. Start the kickout early until you get a feel for the technique and then progress to a later correction as you get comfortable. I have never been a proponent of slipping from a long final in any airplane for various negative reasons.

Doing crosswind landings well is part of being a pilot. Obviously, proficiency comes with experience, practice and mistakes, but achieving quality, end-results is the goal to becoming a competent pilot. At least thats the way it used to be...