PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truck Driving beats Helicopter Flying for Career Potential
Old 9th Oct 2002, 20:21
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
3Top....I pulled triple trailers for United Parcel Service in Oregon....hardest part of the job was turning the rear view mirrors around to the front....so one would not be tempted to look to the rear and see what the last trailer was doing.....kept you from getting scared that way! Until I pulled them....never understood why they were called "Wiggle Wagons".....you could in a hurry actually attempt to follow yourself out of the parking lot if you were not careful. It took so long to do the pretrip inspection on the things you had to take a bag lunch along or else you could get awfully hungry. They just would not work on the East Coast....why you could pull out to pass a slower truck in Georgia and be in North Carolina before you got by.

When I bought my own truck....a big long nosed Freightliner Condo sleeper conventional.....opted for the big Detroit engine and an double overdrive 13 speed transmission with tall rubber. Got stopped by a highway patrolman in Tennessee....very nice man who let me off with a warning....96 in a 70 zone. He allowed as how it was hard enough for a trucker to make a living without having to pay a huge speeding fine...and if I would promise to be more careful...etc...etc...he would let me go with a warning. He suggested I was a bit daft going that fast with such a large vehicle....never summoned up the courage to tell him I had three more gears to go when he stopped me! Ol' Yeller was a sure nuff Chicken Hauller.....never had the courage to find out just how fast that thing would run....gave up at 105 and had one two more gears left!

We now have GPS based systems that track the truck and via a downlink system to a computer records your position everytime you send or receive a message or at regular intervals.....makes cross checking the logbook too simple. But then time travel is not very new or SciFi anymore.....heck...truckers been doing it for fifty years. I usually got home three days before my logbook....and got to my Monday delivery before I left home.

If your transmission has more gears than you have teeth....you too might be a Chicken Hauller!