PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharkey shows his teeth
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2011, 16:41
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
809 Squadron was put together at extremely short notice with any spare, experienced pilots. It was immediately deployed to the South Atlantic and I guess we can say that they were all 'rushed into it'. I believe that all aircraft were stowed aboard the merchant ship Atlantic Conveyor, but I bow to anyone that has facts that could dispute this.

There were two RAF pilots attached to that squadron and if these pilots had no experience of flying that specific aircraft then MUCH respect to them, but it begs the question as to the reasoning of doing it. (This is in NO WAY a criticism of those that volunteered) The courage, skill and bravery of every single pilot that fought in that war is well documented and I have nothing but respect and admiration for any person that has the courage to own up to making a mistake whilst under EXTRA ORDINARY pressure. I am positive that as soon as Flt Lt Leeming confessed to his minor woopsie there would have been an instant, ""I've done that and also I've done...........!!!""

This pilot still did the deed and it saddens me to hear of his tragic loss. My thoughts and prayers are with this person's next of kin.

Or adding that he watched one of his Sidewinders fall 'tantalisingly short of its target'.

Or when converted from Sharkey BS into proper QWI speak = he shot out of range.
Is this the incident where the aircraft was running on fumes and he fired the missile more in the hope it would just have the range? When it failed to reach the target he still stubbornly carried home his attack. As a result of shooting down his target he had to make an emergency landing aboard an assault ship to 'borrow' sufficient fuel to get back to Invincible?

I guess Commander Ward is not the only person that enjoys trying to ridicule those that are only guilty of being professional pilots who are never afraid of putting themselves into the hot seat.

Never let the truth spoil a good story and I suppose to some of us, two wrongs will always make one right!!

And again.... Respect to ALL pilots that wear the Queen's uniform.