PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Pilots on the way to help EK
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2011, 14:26
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fozzy74, I wouldn't be in a hurry to burn your bridges, no matter how bad QF is. I also wouldn't give up the opportunity for a possible redundancy payout either. With this business going the way it is, everyone needs all the cash they can get, when they can get it. You just don't know when you will need it.

I think that almost all of the pilots here would be more than happy to fly with you if you were on LWOP. I know a few of the ANZ guys that were here on LWOP & they had no problems that I ever heard of. And it would be nice to have an out if things don't go as expected over here. I'm sure that most here would have loved to have been in that situation when they joined, but normally EK require confirmation of resignation before they will hire you.

The fact that some of the ANZ guys (all of the ones I know) have returned home is an indication that this place isn't for everyone. The 3.5 years you will need to do, in order to pay off the bond, will give you ample of time for you & the family to decide if you all want to be here in the longer term & if that is the case, you can resign then & stay on (or take a redundancy package if available).

You can't please everyone & that is particularly relevant in this business. So, take in to account people's feelings, but remember that everyone has a unique situation & the greatest responsibilty is to yourself & your family, so you have to do what's right for you & them, above all else.

People here have been hoping in the last few years that the pilot shortage will finally bite & force EK to improve the package, because it isn't what it was a number of years ago. Nothing significant has happened to date, but most keep hoping an improvement is just around the corner. However, EK is pretty skilled at the delicate balance between the package & required pilot numbers, so it is pretty much a case of . It's hard to say if pilots on LWOP from QF will make a difference, but I tend to think not.

All the best with your decision.