PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You must be fed up of QXC posts by now...
Old 9th Oct 2002, 18:34
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You must be fed up of QXC posts by now...

...but, what the hell, I want my 5 minutes of fame.

Sucessfully completed the QXC this afternoon, Sherburn - East Midlands - Humberside - Sherburn. Weather was looking a bit dodgy this morning, but by the time I set off cloud base and vis were fine.

Managed to make surprisingly few mistakes, but did TWICE try to call the next freqency without actually switching the radio, and had to be, er, reminded by the controllers. . Never done this before, so must just have been nerves.

The only time I was worried was when the engine refused to start for the last leg (just as I'd started to relax and pat myself on the back). I'd had the same problem earlier in the week though, and the instructor started it that time by cranking it with full lean mixture and full throttle, then going to full rich/closed throttle while the engine was turning. Did this and it worked a treat, but haven't got a clue why. And it helps to have three hands. Which I haven't.

By the way, if anyone from Humberside tower is reading this, thanks for the very friendly, professional and helpful way you dealt with me. Loads of constructive observations and help, and let me look round the tower too. A credit to your profession. When I pass my skills test, I shall return - with cream cakes! (and that's not just because you wrote 'Very good indeed' on my form).

Other firsts today were my highest flight to date (got up to an amazing 4500ft), and fastest (ground speed 160kts on the homeward leg).

I managed to use a whole roll of film en-route and at my destinations, and will post a link here sometime next week if anyone's really interested.

Right, off to the pub.....