PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2011, 08:59
apt_idea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for changing my mind

Disclaimer: I am currently enrolled in a University level program, part of which includes an integrated course to CPL/MECIR/Frozen ATPL. I have also elected not to continue on to stage two with CX; yes, it was offered.

Firstly, I'd like to thank those of you who have presented the current 'package' that is on offer in terms of not just the financial reward compared to what was once available, but also in terms of future prospects, lifestyles, and integrity of the profession.

Several days ago I started reading this thread with the intention of finding out a bit more on the cadet scheme and what it entailed. I have taken the time to read through every post and what I found was truly astonishing to me. I'm not speaking of pay and conditions - crappy as they are - either. I'm speaking of the utter nonsense that the people CX are actually taking the time to deal with are spewing forth here. It really does boggle the mind.

Much has been posted in a comical style 'pulling the piss' out of these kids so I won't even get into that, what I will get into is my shock that we have people on here who are 'training really hard on ms flight simulator', fatties asking about medicals, people saying "I've read everything and done so much research, but anyway, can you tell me what happens at the first interview" when there is hundreds of exactly the same types of posts answered ad nauseum! So many of the questions are things that anyone with one iota of interest in flying would know by now. I'm 34, I knew about class one medicals, license types, even bloody pressure level calcs before I was half way through High school *because it was interesting to think about how to get to my ultimate aim and what I needed to do to achieve it* - God help us if this is the best research they are capable of (it's not of course, they just want to be spoon fed instead of even taking the time to read a thread).

It was this never ending stream of garbage that turned me off the whole application process. Frankly I find the patience of most of those in the know on here exceptional; it's no wonder some snapped ;-)

I might be going through one of the integrated programs that so many on here pooh pooh, but at least it will be backed by a degree, and at least I spent the last 10 years working my backside off to be able to afford it. I'm glad I came here, I really am, at least now when all is said and done I will be getting my flight instructors license, enjoy the new people I will meet through that avenue, learn the ropes and move onto flying around the bush for a few years. By the time I've got the hours and experience I'll probably be to old for the airlines (thus the temptation of the scheme) but stuff it at least I'll be getting to where I'm going the way I always thought I would. Rant over