PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four people in a Warrior II?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2011, 07:21
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Passenger weight has always been a problem, but more recently, more so, as some of our society seem to have an increased average weight. It's up to what you as the pilot are prepared to defend, should you be challenged.

When I started flying jumpers in the C 185, it was the common practice for the aircraft to carry 4 jumpers. And this was the 265HP lighter version of the 185. Though I was trying to "fit in" as a pilot in the group, I started questioning this. I started producing informal W&B for flights I had done. When I came up with a flight which had very obviously been more than 300 pounds over gross - that's more than one jumper too much. My resistance to flying these flights did not receive a warm reception. It was time for me to leave that operation.

The pilot who took my place was a young commercial time builder type pilot, who happily carried these loads.

I did send an anonymous safety report to the reporting system, suggesting that jump pilots should be presented with a W&B for each flight, including a weighing of the equipped jumpers. I am not aware this was ever put in place. I have not flown jumpers since....