PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - De-crabbing at the flare to land without drift.
Old 10th Jul 2011, 06:43
JazzyKex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different techniques are best practiced for different reasons.

I began my jet flying in a 146 where pod scraping was of no consideration when straightening up but I preferred to de-crab in the flare. I took that technique to the 757 where with a crosswind of 40kts some positive controlling was required to stop any drift if you mis timed the flare! The ops manuals for each offers both techniques as perfectly legitimate.

The straightening in the flare technique is great until you move to something like the 777, where on a normal day it works absolutely fine. However the machine is capable of autolanding in a 40kt crosswind and although rare, there are occasions when you disconnect the autopilot after the aircraft has started its own crosswind technique (sideslipping) below 500'. In that scenario you better be well practiced at landing with that technique too unless you intend to let the aircraft weathercock and reapply your "straighten in the flare technique" all in the last couple of hundred feet! The pitch attitudes and amount of aileron use are considerable, significantly different and very uncomfortable for those who have not encountered and practiced it before that dark and stormy night!

It boils down to knowing your aircraft and taking the opportunities to practice the possible methods (sim or aircraft - I don't think MS Flightsim counts looking at some of the answers here!!!).

As has been mentioned above look at the crosswind testing of the 777, doesn't seem to bother Mr Santori much to have a LOT of drift on on touchdown, and what he doesn't know about Boeings really isn't worth knowing!!! Also as for the reversers argument????? Watch the video and think about what happens when a couple of hundred tons of metal touches down with drift on....the drift does not stay on long!!! It straightens up pretty pronto comfortably or not...definitely at lot faster than the reversers start to affect your directional control. Nice to have your theories...now go look at a areal aeroplane!