PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2011, 19:49
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no winners here
Unfortunately that isn't entirely true. The winners could be every pilot and other crewmen that fly RAF aircraft and every passenger that ever dares to set foot on one. However, the winners could be Wratton, Day and all the others at the top of the food chain that, for their own reasons, allowed the airworthiness of the RAF to dip below a safe level and then tried to cover up their activities by blaming two potentially blameless men by blatantly ignoring the regulations in place at the time.

If the clear failings in the process for release to service and a post crash system that suffers so badly from service and self interest are understood to be utterly broken and proper, independent action taken to repair both systems them maybe, just maybe, RAF aircraft will take off in an airworthy condition and, should one happen to go down, people can rest assured that the reason for the crash is properly investigated, reported and whatever remedial measures required will be made.

Then, and only then will the truly important people be winners. If not, then the system will remain unchanged, those in positions of responsibility will hazard their budgets against crew's lives rather than doing the right thing and then use their own system to execute a cover up. Then Wratton, Day et al will be the winners along with all who follow in their footsteps.

The information we have so far is wonderful but, in the bigger picture, it's a very small battle in a much larger war. While I knew neither Tapper nor Cook, I'm willing to bet they'd want to win the war too. I know I'd like to see it put to bed...