PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truck Driving beats Helicopter Flying for Career Potential
Old 9th Oct 2002, 16:00
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Vfr and all others:

How is that in good ol´Europe now? Are you still using the damn tacho-paper-discs? I thought they implemented GPS-based black boxes with electronic driver codecards, so the police can still fine you 3 years after you passed a village with 5 km/h too fast!!

Last time I was driving about 7 years ago, and it was getting out of hand.

When I started with an old double articulated rig (around ´88) ,with twin wheels on a triple axle trailer, I got 5 flats on the first trip.

The feeling of "King of the road" (despite a big sign on the front of my Volvo...)was gone after about 4 weeks, hanging out four of the weekends on some lousy resting place.

Later I got a new 420 hp Scania and ran it at 115 km/h in East Germany (April before the wall came down...).

The best truck I ever got my hands on was a Renault "Magnum" with the big Mack engine (520 hp), one is on top the traffic, standup room - I am 1,87m,flat floor over the engine, however it was lousy driving - Coolers, always lacking sleep......

It started to get bad when they put in the speed limiters (85 km/h, that´s it...)

The latest I heared from home (Austria) is ,that on Austrian Highways trucks are not allowed to pass anymore!! Imagine you have a sleeper in front and you are not allowed to pass!

THanks, but no, I stick with the swingwing!!

It seems that things are different in North America....

I am not even starting with OZ. Here we would have to go on some RAILROAD forum!!! Once you can haul more than 2 trailers it is a train isn´t it!! Are you still called a trucker down under or is it "engineer" (locomotive-...)

3top,