PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - De-crabbing at the flare to land without drift.
Old 9th Jul 2011, 12:39
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De-crabbing at the flare to land without drift.

From Flight Test forum:

Hello All,

Another "where" question from Leo....

If you had to perform cross-wind testing in Europe in next few weeks (days...) on a mid-size biz-jet,
I have often wondered why Boeing in their 737 FCTM, publish three methods of performing cross-wind landings. They are, touch-down in a crab, the de-crab technique (with removal of crab in the flare), and the side-slip technique. Each is then described in detail.

From my first flight I was taught it was essential to touch down without drift and freely admit I needed much patient instruction before I could do this consistently well and with confidence. After graduation from Wings course my early years of flying Lincoln bombers (tail-wheel type for the younger generation ) made me apprehensive of crosswind landings in these huge beasts as the squeal of tyres and bursts of power from outboard engines was the norm in strong crosswinds.

Touching down without drift has been taught as ideal with every aircraft I have ever flown from Tiger Moth to various fighters, bombers and transports. Apart from the Boeing 737 that is. In fact deliberately touching down without removing drift is a recipe for a ground loop in tail-wheel types.

Obviously, Boeing doesn't see any problem with landing their aircraft with drift which is why it is mentioned as one of the three choices. Is this because Boeing are aware that many pilots are unable to "see" drift and if so, not to worry, because the aircraft natural directional stability will prevent grief from happening?

Or is Boeing merely being pragmatic and aware that a significant number of pilots are incapable of consistently touching down without drift and therefore the manufacturer increases the structural strength of the landing gear to take this into account?

Surely, if properly trained in the simulator or the real aircraft, pilots should be able to track accurately on final and at the flare remove all drift by the time-honoured method of de-crabbing and touching down straight? Of course it takes practice and a modicum of finesse but this is not a new technique.

Despite Boeing assurance that it is safe to land with drift applied up to the landing cross-wind guideline speeds, this should not be carte-blanche for pilots to be lazy simply because they cannot be bothered to apply finesse. From observation of hundreds of crosswind landings in the simulator it is evident that many crews seem incapable of judging the decrab or touching down astride the centre-line with drift eliminated.

I was once told by an experienced but highly cynical Boeing test pilot, that all sorts of pilots will fly their aircraft and for this reason Boeing SOP's cater for the lowest grade. One can understand his sentiments from seeing how the QRH has been dumbed down almost to kindergarten standard with flow charts designed to cover the oaf to the ace pilot.

My point is why deliberately touch down in a crosswind with drift still present when it should not be beyond the average pilot to align the aircraft with the runway heading during de-crab and land without drift? Complacency, perhaps - or sheer laziness?