PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane rental Oxford Oxfordshire
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2011, 09:49
SDB73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi A and C,

I can completely understand why you feel this is wrong, but try to think of it this way :

By answering direct questions about your business, you are using this service for commercial purposes. This means that this forum is providing you with enquiries which will earn you money.

When running a forum like this, there is a horrible balance to attempt to maintain. For instance, a "clever" way that some business owners attempt to advertise without paying, is to ask other people to post on their behalf, advertising their services.

This becomes very difficult for the forum owner because :

1) If you delete the post, the mentioned business owner may flip out and say "why don't you delete things about Bose, and Skydemon".

2) If you don't delete the post, your paying advertisers may flip out saying "How come I have to pay, and he doesn't"?

So what you end up having to do is use your best judgement to keep as much of the peace as possible. You tend to base this judgement on historical evidence : eg. If someone had attempted on a number of occasions to advertise for free, or if it all seems a bit suspect for some reason.

Really, if you want to gain a commercial benefit out of the use of the forum, the right thing to do is to conduct yourself inline with normal business practice - partner with the service providing you with the commercial benefit, and advertise. Then everyone's happy.

But saying things like "I can't tell you about my services (which you can gleen from this post are just what you're after - therefore allowing you to get in touch with me privately, so I don't have to pay to earn money out of you), because the forum owners are mean", will only cause the forum-owner's judgement of you to be more in the "delete" bracket.

Sadly, this also backfires further as the members tend to view your company as less reputable.

It doesn't mean you're a bad business, or underhand in general, but it just means that the advertising you're attempting to do, is actually more harmful to you in the long run than you might realise.

I hope you don't take offence by any of this, as it's all well-meant.