PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2011, 08:34
before landing check list

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A37575, as you know there is no way to quantify what you are asking. However I do think that most of us are saying there is too much reliance of flying the aircraft through it's automation because most of the pilots now do not have the refined hands on ability that only comes with actually flying the aircraft (an aircraft) by hand.

Surely a captain or copilot pilot licensed to fly a type of aircraft should have 100 percent competency on both skills.
Surely somebody who knows nothing of the industry would imagine this, it does sound logical however we know this to be sometimes false. I do not know what your background is however some of us have spent a lot of time actually flying, and I do not mean hours monitoring a FMS and auto pilot. Also I do not mean to come across that a person with 2000 hours flying an ag plane makes a better airline pilot either. That is the other extreme,

I think the "balance" referred to here would be a pilot with enough practical knowledge in aerodynamics so as to know what is happening (not so much the minutia) and why it was happening and if it was not happening the way it was happening incorrectly would have no problem analyzing the situation correctly using all relevant data, coming up with a plan of action and not be afraid of hand flying the thing sometimes contrary to what we use as a bible called the SOP's.
How this person gets this knowledge and the intestinal fortitude required to put the plan into action usually comes from a diverse education, not just the academy approach and not just the utility approach but a knowledge based from the mix of the two, and not just those two.

Balance