PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Pilots on the way to help EK
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2011, 07:59
Fozzy74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand this is generating some serious emotion among both groups given what is written in the Australian forum.

What I have found however is that at times the most vocal are not always representative of the majority. Hence I would like to hopefully get a better impression.

My situation is that I have almost 10 years in QF, and am one of the most junior F/O's in line for the bullet should the upcoming restructure go as rumoured. At best I will be demoted back to S/O, or offered really pathetic terms and conditions in the new Asian franchise.

Having been through one airline going bust 10 years ago, I have being doing my research carefully and am on the verge of applying to EK through normal channels on August 24 when the information becomes available. Each to their own and I can tell you there will be a lot of window shoppers from QF ranks, but not actually many who will come should they be accepted. For most the ties here are too great, and family life will prevent most. Many are contemplating and planning lives away from aviation.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that I (and my family) could enjoy ourselves over there, and you won't be stuck with some bitter and twisted tosser who is going to bitch and complain about what happened back home. Things happen and life goes on. Make the most of what is in front of you, look forward and not back. Any QF people who would be prepared to make the big move under this deal will be doing it because they want to, not because they have no other option such as may be the case in 2 months from now. Hopefully for you that would mean you get motivated and enthusiastic people who want to be there, not ones who are forced to.

Then again, it is concerning reading some of the posts in the other forum about how we are being seen as eroding conditions. If that is the general feel of the majority, then I will not be a part of it. If it is just a few who are vocal, but not representative of the wider group, then I would appreciate any input and advice.

For all the stereotypes that surround QF pilots, yes, there are complete fools in our ranks who have ego's bigger than you can imagine. Like any company, there is a small percentage of people who fit this bill, and in times gone by QF has had possibly more than its share.

However, there is a new generation of people in QF who are down to earth, enjoy life, are hard working, and want to make the most of it. We are not all negative, many just roll with the dice. However, we don't want to cut anyone else's grass, and that is where my hesitation in this deal is. The old days in QF are over, and with them have died a lot of the egotistical difficult people.

If you want people who want to be there, who will enjoy their time, understand exactly what they are getting themselves into, and who would hopefully be a pleasure to fly with, then encourage us. Otherwise, hopefully you don't get flooded with applicants come late August who don't really want to be there, but feel no other option. I would rather see those people stay behind.

Will I come back after 3 years? Who knows. I grew up in an expat life and loved it, and quality of life is what you make of it. My wife will probably be the biggest influence. Suffice to say it takes 7 years to realise the benefits over there as a minimum, be it provident fund and command. Aviation will be a different beast worldwide in the next 3 to 7 years, it has certainly changed in my last 16 years of flying. You adapt and take some risks with your career move, and accept what you have done and move forward. My personal hope would be to enjoy it (knowing the negatives) and stay for the longer term. But I cannot script the future.

Any advice is appreciated. I would guess that out of maybe 400 or so eligible F/O's in QF, you will see maybe 25 or so actually go the full distance. Just a guess.