PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever get a break?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2011, 02:40
SpreadEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll likely get flamed, because no one likes the truth.

But the truth is the OP is very unlikely to get an airline job. Ever.

Lots of people will tell you that you should be an instructor, or bush fly in Africa, or fly float planes etc etc. But this is 2011. You can have 20,000 piston hours and no one will care. There is no airline job that asks for 1000 or indeed any amount of piston hours these days.

You can do all the crappy jobs. You can wash people's planes, fly their students, ferry their customers aircraft all for peanuts. They have businesses to run, they will happily let you do this. They will let you work on their ops desks, or sell their jeppesens, or hump their customer's luggage. But they can't help you get a job. You can waste years doing all that - its accountants, not contacts these days. And you will be told "Its how I got in, I fly jets!" But not after 2008 they didn't, without stumping up for a TR.

The market has changed. Ryan Air and EasyJet want you straight out of your FTO. They want you to buy a TR from them. They don't care if you spent 3 years flying round Tanzania in a Cessna Caravan.
Everyone else just wants ready trained pilots from companies that treat theirs badly like Ryan Air and EasyJet.

If the likes of BA and Virgin want pilots they'll take from low cost. Low cost will go back to those with bags of cash straight from the chosen FTOs. No one will be looking for someone who scraped 1500 hours of piston time. Biz jets, same story.

Finally, have a think about who you get advice from on this site. Statistically 4 out of 5 people, get a license and never secure a job. So who is on this site offering advice? The 4 out of 5 who had to go away and find other professions, or the lucky 20% that did get in? You rarely hear the other side here, because those people aren't pilots, so no longer come to pprune. And those still here 'the chosen ones', didn't want it more nor are they more talented, that I can promise you.

Ryan Air didn't take you. EasyJet will go to their huge pool. You aren't in it. Its over.

What do you do now? I have 1000 piston hours and I haven't figured that out myself.

You may think this isn't advice at all. It doesn't help. But thinking the unthinkable and preparing yourself for what will likely happen to you, will make it a lot less of a shock, when one morning you wake up and admit you p*ssed 80k away. A horrible post to read I know, but its a horrible reality. Sorry.

Last edited by SpreadEagle; 9th Jul 2011 at 02:52.