PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2011, 00:36
Modern Elmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And how much is it all worth?

Not much. Let's give peace a chance. Downsize the war machine!

The Marines are talking about "11 extra carriers" but the fact is that the LHA/LHD can carry six jets (with no EW, AEW or tanker support) before they start pushing helicopters over the side.

I think they get that number eleven by adding up the ten existing Wasp and Tarawa class amphibious assault ships plus the upcoming USS America, the first of the LHA(R) class 45,00 ton amphibious assault ships with no well deck.

It's similar to the "through deck cruiser" euphemism. Don't call it an aircraft carrier, geddit?

I don't think the older amphibs could accomodate F-35's or V-22's very well, so I'm dubious about there being eleven VSTOL F-35-capable USN ships in the near future. The Tarawa class is also supposed to be retired before long.

STOVL F-35's are primarily for the America class. That's what I suspect the plan is, anyway. The decks of the America class ships are supposed to be able to cope with the hot exhaust of F-35's and V-22's, the elevators are bigger, the hangar deck is taller, and so on.

As far as aircraft head count, it sez here:

The LHA(R) will be U.S. Navy's newest multifunctional and most versatile, amphibious assault ship and has been specifically optimized for aircraft, particulalry the MV-22 Osprey tilt rotor aircraft and the new J-35B VTOL Strike fighter. The America class will provide increased aviation capability, vehicle lift, cargo magazine capacity, better survivability, increased habitability standards and greater service life margins. As such the design includes enlarged hangar facilities to house more aircraft below decks and to more fully service them. There is no well deck, so no amphibious assault by sea is supported directly from the LHA(R) class.

The air assault role is optimized for larger air assault from much further out, allowing troops to arrive on scene more quickly and the LHA(R) to be better protected from its station further out to sea. In the air assault role, a typical load out for the LHA(R), USS America would be:

10 - F-35B JSF Strike Fighters
12 - MV-22 Osprey VTOL Tilt-Rotor Assault Aircraft
08 - AH-1Z Viper Attack Helicopters
04 - CH-53E Super Stallion Assault Helicopters
04 - MH-60S Seahawk SAR Helicopters

The America has also been designed specifically to serve in a Sea Control, aircraft carrier mode. In this role she would carry the following aircraft loadout:

22 - F-35B JSF Strike Fighters
06 - MH-60R Seahawk ASW Helicopters

WorldWideAircraftCarriers.com - America Class Page

Those numbers sound somewhat optimistic, do they not?

And notice, no ski jump.