PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plymouth Airport closure and Devonport Dockyard future
Old 8th Jul 2011, 19:37
trafficnotsighted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airborne - Yes FOST has only been there there since 95 i believe and it could relocate. But if it was to, it would be another Naval loss to the city of Plymouth and could ( i say again could) put the dockyards future in doubt and in the current climate where the government are constantly looking to make cut backs, Plymouth needs to keep its Naval presence as large as it can. It is also a real money spinner for the Navy with the foreign Navies and involves about 600 staff , so contributes a lot to the local economy.

Chuffer - The options of keeping the cabs close by and meeting the task requirments are none starters. The sites looked at are very limited and only really offer VFR. Ops.

N H - The council have always spouted off they support the airport but now its time to put their money where their mouths are they have gone really quiet. Also take into account the airport land when it is sold off for development, the money is divided between Sutton Harbour and the council. Option 1 -Oooh sit back a let the Airport close and take the money to keep the rest homes open.
Option 2 - step in bailout the airport a couple of million and close the rest homes

pROONE - Run with me on this a bit . I do not question all your facts about the base (except the submarine refits, i thought that was moving, although i might be wrong) Yes FOST is one of the host units, but i believe it has a bigger part to play in the Naval makeup of Devonport than you give it credit for and it is far more than a liason helicopter operation. Again i submit one less Naval activity based at Devonport cannot be good for its long term future.
Anotherthing which seems to have been missed is the SAR requirment to use Plymouth airport as the Seakings cannot operate directly in and out of Derriford hospital.

For the record i did serve in the andrew.