PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 16:30
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Asking what would the the second thing to do after looking at AoA value when hearing STALL STALL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK465
Is this a trick question?

Nope . So you have your AoA value, lets say it's Seven.

If that's the first thing you look at it must be key to the subsequent process that you plan to apply. So what do you do next? What is so important about the AoA number that the aircraft is telling you in your subsequent decision process. If you need to question the stall warning then why do you believe the actual AoA, it's coming from the same system....

Me, the first thing I'd look at is a horizon (an AoA indicator of sorts of course, but which also tells me whether my wings are level. Two birds with one stone....)

…And from Post #994:

Very simply.

The nose down inputs were transient. They were not of sufficient size/duration to cause the THS to move.

Quote: It's a pity that the stall warning sounded again after they made the correct (ND) input.

@PA 18 151

I think one would be reasonable to accept that if I’ve got an ALT2 jet in my hands (A/P & A/T not available in ALT2), that I should, in fact, be flying “attitude” as a control parameter when I hear the “Stall, Stall”. So I know the aircraft attitude because I "may have" put it there.

With an analog AOA indicator, I can instantly correlate where I am in the aircraft operating envelope with respect to AOA…and observe the AOA trend. "Stall, Stall" is just a preliminary warning that I'm headed that way or possibly risk inducing an accelerated stall. It's not a matter of "believing" one or the other.

More importantly

As is continually being addressed here, the forward SS input may have to be held for some period of time. If all I can reference is a repetitive “Stall, Stall” audio, I have no idea to what extent my recovery inputs are either effectual or not.

“Stall, Stall” doesn’t tell me whether I’m at 35-degrees AOA “locked” or SEVEN degrees AOA trending lower. Neither does a stick shaker. If I can see a trend indicating I’m making the right input, I get positive feedback to hold that input. This might be particularly useful with a Stall Warning which suddenly reactivates.

The analog/digital AOA indicator available on the PFD of some 737 NG’s sits just to the upper right of the attitude display. It would take an unnatural effort not to see and correlate both Attitude & AOA with the stick shaker going. (Someone posted a picture of it eons ago. It is not an additional instrument but an OPC addition to an existing display. And it is certainly not overwhelming in day to day normal flying.)

Someone (LW 50 I think) previously asked if AOA displays were available in airliners and were they useful. Are they useful?

Same answer as before…depends on the driver.